Sunday, December 13, 2015

Erykah Badu Speaks on friendship with Drake and the impersonator on her tape



When you reached tracks five and eight on Erykah Badu’s critically-acclaimed mixtape, But You Caint Use My Phone, you probably heard a familiar voice that many attributed to Drake. But with a little bit of clarification, Ms. Badu swiftly confirmed that it wasn’t the Toronto native blaring out of your speakers or earphones. It was an artist named Aubrey Davis who goes by the stage name ItsRoutine.

While you’re wondering whether or not Drizzy is aware that he has a sound-alike out there, no need to fret because Badu shared a tidbit on the situation. In an interview with Pitchfork, the “Phone Down” singer revealed that she notified the Toronto native of her plans.

“I talk to Drake once a week,” she said. “He’s my friend, and I told him about ItsRoutine, and he laughed and made a joke that he didn’t want these guys taking up his tea time.” On the OVO leader’s track “Days in the East,” he referenced one night where he shared a cup of tea with Badu.

The Dallas native and Drake have an extensive relationship, with him serving as inspiration for her latest soundscape. After the release of the 29-year-old’s catchy and remix-worthy song “Hotline Bling,” Badu did a rendition of her own and concocted But You Caint Use My Phone in the process.
He’s an inspiration to me. Sonically he’s in a place where I want to be,” she said in an interview with The Fader. “It’s halfway between where I was and halfway to where I am now. If I want to come out and do something, I will try and raise myself to his bar or channel myself to his frequency.”

No comments:

Post a Comment