Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Nas Talks Album Illmatic 2 and NewSong "The Season"



2015 has already been a crazy year for music, and now it looks like Nas is ready to get back at it with new solo music. During a concert in Orlando over the weekend, Nas hyped up the crowd with a clear message that his new album is going to drop this summer.



This will be Nas' first solo album since he dropped Life Is Good in 2012 and will reportedly be released through Def Jam Records rather than his Mass Appeal label. Not much is known about the actual album, but back in October Nas did release his song "The Season," where he teased more new music was on the way.





Nas discusses what it would take for him to record "Illmatic 2."

Nas’ Illmatic is one of the most acclaimed albums in Rap history. The Queensbridge rapper said that he’s considering making Illmatic 2.

“[I] thought about it before,” Nas says during an interview with VIBE Magazine. "I definitely thought about that, but it has to flow. It has to be natural. I can work on that and then if I don’t like it, I’ma scrap it. I have to feel it, man. It got to be honest.”

Released in 1994, Illmatic featured the songs “One Love” and “Halftime.” During a 2012 interview, he said that the former was inspired by the letters he wrote to his incarcerated friend, something he reimagines on the song.

“When I was writing that record I had a friend who was in jail and the way he ended the letter I would be like ‘sincerely’ [or] whatever,” Nas said at the time. "[Instead] it was ‘one love.’ People were saying, 'One love’ everywhere so it was, ‘One love’ just felt strong. And I wrote the song as letters to friends of mine that were locked up…Q-Tip produced it and Q-Tip is so talented and I’m such a big fan of A Tribe Called Quest and all they albums that I felt like he brought such a jazz, but yet another vibe to the whole meaning of a hardcore song. Yes, it was written letters to guys in jail but the vibe of [the] music was just real smooth.”

In 2001, Nas released Stillmatic, which was deemed an unofficial follow-up to Illmatic.




No comments:

Post a Comment